Wednesday, March 9, 2016

New Spring beauty reviews


Now that I've tried out several brands of blending sponges, I've decided that these Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponges are my top pick. They're much softer than other knockoffs, with a bit more give than the original Beauty Blender and it works. The clever shaping of this sponge covers all the bases, from the wide flat area to pat down large areas to the pointier ends that get into hard-to-reach spots with ease. At less than half the price of the original, if you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, hop on.

Prestige Cosmetics routinely go on sale at London Drugs, so I picked up this Total Intensity Total Wear Shadow Stick in the shade Sand Frost, and it's every bit as good as their pressed shadows (which I love!). This crayon delivers rich colour and is very easy-to-blend. The formula also acts as a primer/shadow base so this product is ideal for my travel makeup routine, when fussing with little pots and extra tools is out of the question. For under $10 CAD including the 20% discount, this was a solid bargain.



This Maybelline Eye Studio Color Molten eye shadow duo in shade 302 Endless Mocha was an interesting find. Not like a traditional cream shadow, it has a slightly bouncy feel when you touch it, and it applies a satiny wash of colour that needs to be layered for opacity. I chose the only colour duo that I thought would play well with my current makeup routine, but as with most drugstore eyeshadows, I suspect this formula was originally designed for fairer skin tones, since I need to apply quite a bit to get it to show nicely on my darker tan skin. However once I get the intensity I'm aiming for, these shadows do last for hours with or without lid primer (one of my eyeshadow quality litmus tests), and they do blend well with other products. Of course, I was hoping that matte shadows were available in the line, but the sparkle in this shadow is so tiny that it provides more of a satiny sheen on the lids, making it a viable option for day/office wear without looking like a glitter ball. These come in a decent range of shade pairings including some bold options, a good choice over buying big pricey palettes that don't get much use.

NYX has been releasing lots of new products lately, but I was drawn to this older lip tube for the colour. Here is the Xtreme Shine Lip Cream in the shade Skin Tone, a lovely true nude colour that I hoped would be dark enough to work with my colouring. However, once I put it on my lips, with or without my darkest lipliners for support, I could not get it to stop appearing light orange on me.  When a beauty product requires that much work, I'll have to pass. As a side note, this lip cream does not have the same yummy cake batter smell that their beloved Butter Glosses, which may be good or bad depending on your preference.


Here is my first bottle of It's A 10 Silk Express Miracle Silk Shampoo and I am an instant convert. For my long dry hair, this is indeed like a miracle. It moisturizes my hair almost as much as a conditioner, leaving it feeling stronger and looking smooth and hydrated. I've been using less conditioners and products after I use this, and the smell is gorgeous (like luxurious high-end haircare should). Everything I've heard about how effective this shampoo is turned out to be true, so go find some if you're battling dry/frizzy hair. I picked mine up for $9.99 at Winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment